Australia is no stranger to fire incidents. In fact, the recent wildfires that have consumed some 3,000 homes, killed half a billion wildlife, and devastated 17.9 million acres of forest are among the worst in decades. To say that fires in this part of the world are devastating is an understatement.
For this reason, property owners like you should ensure that you have essential fire fighting equipment ready, especially if you live in a fire-prone area or if you work with materials and chemicals that are highly combustible. Having proper fire fighting equipment can spell the difference between saving lives and properties and losing them to such a terrible occurrence. Fortunately, there are companies in Australia that manufacture high-quality fire fighting equipment that you can easily buy for your property.
Here are three key fire suppression items that you should get for your property:
Fire fighting pumps
A fire fighting pump is indispensable equipment that you should have in your property. There are companies that specialize in manufacturing and installing firefighter pumps for use in farms, residential areas, commercial establishments, and industrial complexes.
These pumps work on both diesel and electricity, so there’s always a backup power source to fire them up. There are customization options available to ensure that the users will have functions that will best suit their specific needs. These firefighter pumps can be installed in areas where fires are most likely to occur to ensure timely response in case of an incident.
Portable fire extinguishers
Not all fires are the same, which is why there’s not a single type of portable fire extinguisher that can manage them all. For your reference, here are the various fire types:
- Class A fires. Include ordinary combustible materials such as wood and paper, as well as rubber and plastics.
- Class B fires. Flammable liquids including gasoline, alcohol, and propane/butane.
- Class C fires. Involve powered electrical equipment such as appliances, computers, and transformers.
- Class D fires. Combustible metals including sodium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Class K fires. Include grease and cooking oil.
Meanwhile, these are the different types of fire extinguishers that you may purchase:
- Dry chemical. There are multipurpose dry chemical fire extinguishers that can suppress Class A, B, and C fires while common dry chemicals should only be used on Class B and C fires for safety.
- Clean agent. May be used on Class A, B, and C fires.
- Water mist. Meant for use on Class A and C fires.
- Carbon dioxide. Best for Class B and C fires.
- Wet chemical. Best used for Class A and K fires.
- Water and foam. Meant for Class A fires only.
- Dry powder. Recommended for Class D fires only.
Personal protective gear
No firefighter should try to suppress fire without wearing complete proper gear. This is to ensure the safety of the firefighter while managing the fire. Here are some of the essential fire fighting items that you should invest in:
- Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)
With these three essential fire fighting equipment, you should be fairly equipped to manage fire incidents in your property. By investing in them, you’re not only protecting your property but also the lives of people inside it.